Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Hey y’all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adpit
    Keymaster

I’m new to this site and I am a new pit/boxer cross mommy. He is 12-16 weeks and we adopted him from our local SPCA. He is the best dog .. loving.. not mouthy.. walks well on his leash.. loves my kids (older kids 12,10 and 8) and our two cats..except he does take issue with one who swiped his nose. >.< They are never left alone together. However, he seems to be scared of a lot of things and we are having problems getting him to go outside to do his business. I was told he might be cold (I imagine so..it’s February!) so I bought him a coat… and he loves it..however he still refuses the trip to potty. We spent a half hour tonight coaxing him outside with treats and he didn’t go. So what I need to know is .. is treating the way to go? I have also read that Pitties are very smart and want to please their owners.. well, how can I get him to please us by using the potty outside? I know all house breaking takes patience but I didn’t figure he’d refuse to go there and then go on the carpet. 

klisa723
    Participant

aww they can be stubborn   yes using treats works,  dont talk to him  just attach the leash and walk   hes on a leash  your in charge if he lags behind just keep going he will get the hint,  no talking to him, just go out the door   when he gets outside lots of praise and treat  good luck

xoxoASHxoxo
    Participant

we always put them in the same spot outside that we wanted them to use, and if they have an accident inside (poopy) put it outside where you want him to go, then just walk him by that spot …but yes patients and a calm tone! no tension  he can feel it in you

deborahbgkelly
    Participant

One thing that worked really well for Peaches is that once she’s outside and goes potty, we throw a little potty party. Basically, we get very excited and praise her highly. In fact,a  way to get her outside was to start very excitedly asking “Peachy potty?”. She still sometimes goes in the house overnight, but I don’t ever have a problem when we’re up and about.

hfgyr23
    Participant

I know all house breaking takes patience but I didn’t figure he’d refuse to go there and then go on the carpet.

angal03
    Participant

However, he seems to be scared of a lot of things and we are having problems getting him to go outside to do his business.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.