Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Hello from sunny so.cal

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Human Talk Introductions Hello from sunny so.cal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ultramagnus
    Participant

Hi everyone my name is Nino and i just adopted a 1yr old pit named Sonny, He’s got the basics down and is housebroken and crate trained, I’ve had him for only 3 days and i know that he’s still getting used to his new environment, I took him from apartment living to a house with a back 40. so he can roam like wild buffalos..lol we have been going on 30min walks every morning. Yes he pulls but after 20mins he tires out and i can take the lead. at his age and new surroundings he tries to chase the birds around the yard of course with laughable outcome but i just laugh inside. He’s a joy to be with and a sweetheart at this point it’s just all about mastering the WALK with him. I know most of you here have a 8-5 job and i don’t want to leave him too long in his crate, unfortunately i live by myself , fortunately i work 15mins from my house. he can be stubborn haha. but he does obey the commands. usually after the walks i try to tire him out even more by tossing his toy rope for another 15 mins. I feed him 2xs a day and i’m slowly introducing him to better food, when i first saw him he was mowing down the grass at his old place no throwing up but i knew that his food was lacking the nutrition he needs so my question is..

1. Will the grass eating end or not and will the better food curb this in him.
    2. The old owner said that he is dog friendly to only 2 dogs a Corgy and her sons pit/lab mix, i want to introduce him to my nephews husky who is 4 yrs old, i know i have to make them meet at a neutral place but how do i go about letting them meet like what should i expect ? i will not let him off leash until i’m sure they will be fine.
    3. i bought him a large 36x some crate he can stand,turn and sleep in there, but should i get a bigger crate so he can stretch out?

Sorry for the winded intro but i’m trying to be the RESPONSIBLE type and put the doubters in there place.

Regards.

amberc922
    Participant

Hey there Nino. Sounds like he is a pretty good dog. I live by myself too and work 8 to 5. I crate my pits while I’m at work. I am able to go home on my lunch hour and let them out for a little. That is good you are putting him on better food. My female Kira eats grass sometimes without throwing up too. Most of the time its close to dinner time or ever since she was a puppy she would get mad and just grab mouthfuls of grass and pull it up (dork). He may always eat grass but it could get better with better food. A HUGE key when introducing to another dog is stay calm dont be jumpy or anxious. Also NEVER meet on a TIGHT lead. Trying to hold them back teaches them it could be unsafe or a bad thing. It is our first instinct to make them listen and not pull but I have tried this and it works much better than making them calm and pulling on thier leash. Also best thing is learn your dog. Get comfortable with him first to where you can look at him and know exactly what he is thinking and going to do. You might want to take him to a controled environment like obedience classes. Even if he knows commands it socializes him and teaches him YOU are the boss. Just take it day to day and be patient with him you see to be doing fine. One last note with the meet and greet don’t freak out on him if you meet another dog and it goes badly. It could be a vibe from the other dog. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Amber

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.