Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Harassment of Pit Bull

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Harassment of Pit Bull

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    chuerta_1
    Participant

Hi there.  I’m not critcizing or judging but as an advocate for pit bulls here in Portland Oregon I just have to ask why you named your dog Kaos?  That sort of name is exactly what anti-pit bull people expect a vicious dog to be named.

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

I don’t know Kaos but I’ll take a stab at it (meant in a totally nonviolent way).
    Based on the spelling, perhaps it’s a nod to the 1960’s series Get Smart where the bad guys worked for an organization names “KAOS”.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Vuho6Kb53w4/SJuK7EFvIhI/AAAAAAAAAFs/a-MhxAyDaNM/s400/scan0003.jpg

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

RIGHT? 🙂

kendseycollins
    Participant

No offense taken.  He is named Kaos becuase he joined a newly formed family with two kids and a chaotic, busy lifestyle.  He fits his name as he is rambunctious and very active.  I didn’t think Buddy or Mac would fit his personality and I wanted something that jived better with me and my family.  Not chaos in a bad way, just a family (and dog) with lots of love and lots going on.  Plus, it’s a family trait for all names to start with “K.”  Kendsey, Kaitlin, Krista, Keaton, Kayden, Khloee, Kaos and my horses name was Kenya.  Kaos fit us, the dog and the name.  It’s not ment to inspire fear or dislike for the breed and we are active in our home town to dispel the myths.  When people meet Kaos and get to know him they realize the name is ironic and fitting at the same time.  When we were first discussing names for him we considered the fact that it’s probably not the tamest or most bland of names and would probably be met with criticism.  However, people will criticize and pass judgement, no matter what we do, so I decided to go ahead and name him true to his character and with the creativity that me and my family live by.  People walking down the street expect a vicious dog long before we are close enough to tell them what his name is and after meeting him they laugh when they do find out.

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  I had never heard of the series, but now that I know there was one, I’ll have to look it up! 🙂

chuerta_1
    Participant

No doubt the dog could be named after the ‘bad guys’ in an old television series but if we are going to ever help the general public see pit bulls in a different light we are going to have to stop naming them things like Kaos, no matter how innocent the reason, or any of the other ‘threatening’ sounding names or tough names or obnoxious names.  We have to be absolutely conscious of what sort of image the name and the behavior of our dog projects to people who have absolutely no knowledge of the reason behind the name.  Not preaching here just saying if we are going to get angry with others for hating and fearing our dogs we need to consider what we name them portrays to people and how we present them appears to people.  Spiked collars, big chains and the like portrays dogs as dangerous so we can’t show off our big tough looking dog and expect people to not be fearful of them and want to ban them.

chuerta_1
    Participant

I understand.  I’m just saying that people who don’t know why you named your dog Kaos are going to assume the reason behind the name is a negative one and unfortunately those very same people that are going to ask for or are going to strongly support a breed ban.  We named our pit Maximus after the Gladiator and we call him Max for short. 

It is extremely sad that we have to be so conscious of such things but like I said we can’t name them vicious or dangerous sounding names and then be angry with people who fear our dogs knowing nothing more about our dog than his name.  Not judging, just saying.  I am a pit bull advocate who is working very hard here in Portland Oregon, and anywhere else I can, to undo the damage that has been done to this breed by so many before us.

I do understand your reason behind the name and it sounds as if it fits him well.  I often think we should have named our pit Tornado…LOL.

chuerta_1
    Participant

Perhaps you may not care if people like your dog or not but you might be concerned when those people who’s opinion’s you don’t care about decide to ban together to get a breed ban passed so you will not be able to legally have your dog living in that area.  Just this week a small town in Louisiana passed a breed ban based on the fact that one of the city council members had walked through a neighborhood and a pit bull, or at least a dog he perceived as a pit bull, had ‘scared’ him behaving in a manner that made him feel threatened.  Yes it is that easy for them to pass a breed ban and that ban is there just because one person fears and dislikes pit bulls.

Unfortunately some people will see a picture of a pit bull smiling and fear that dog.

All I know is that I will never give up my pit bull and I am not ready to move if a breed ban should happen so I am working diligently to try to change how other people see my pit bull…I guess you could say I am working very hard to help people ‘like’ my dog and all the dogs that look like him…

People fear what they don’t understand or know.  The more people ‘like’ my dog the less people will support a breed ban.

kendseycollins
    Participant

People already assume that the reason for owning a pit is a negative one.  People who judge a dog by the name or the breed are simply ignorant and need to be educated.  The only ones that irritate me are those who cling to and protect their ignorance by refusing to open their eyes to the truth.  Those people are why I am a registered voter, they are why I go to the polls to stand up for what I believe in.  My grandfather named his toy poodle “Tank” because he thought it was funny to name a little dog such a big, tough name.  I don’t think I have ever met a nastier, more viscious dog in my life (God rest her soul.)  But nobody thought twice about the name becuase it was a poodle.  I understand completely the argument you make, however, I refused to give into the people who told us that bringing a pitbull into a home with two kids was dangerous and I refuse to name my dog something “safe” just becuase it may portray a negative image.  Not to say that I have no feelings of responsibility towards the breed.  I do.  I love pits and we are actively trying to combat the media hype.  Kaos is a fantastic ambasador for the breed and I LOVE LOVE LOVE taking him out around town.  We inspired my sister to adopt a pit puppy, named Athena.  My grandma used to close her eyes and pray when she came over and Kaos would lick her.  The last time she was over for dinner, she used him as a foot rest and spoiled him rotten with table scraps (which he is absolutely NOT allowed to have!)  At any rate, it is what it is, I’m not trying to step on any toes, but I have loved the name since it popped into my head and I love telling people that we named our dog Kaos.

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

Well said! I love the name “Kaos”. Anyone who has ever been around a puppy of any breed can relate to that name. Speaking only for myself, I choose to be here because the people on this site Do care about the breed & it’s image. btw, love the “K” name thing. Some of my family went with “D” names for all of their kids. :]

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

Seriously! My dog’s name is Vanilla and there are people who are still afraid of her because she’s an ABPT.

We could all name our dogs Buttercup and some moron would take issue with them!

chuerta_1
    Participant

I get your point.  But there are only going to be so many people we can get to and help them see pits differently and for that I’d name my dog Cookie if I thought it may help some people swing open that mind.  All that said whatever our dog’s name is we are still bound to do whatever we can for the breed by making sure that our dog is beyond safe around other dogs and around people.  If enough people can get their well-behaved pit bull out into the public eye then the public will stop listening to the media drama hype and will begin to believe what they see.

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

My point is that no matter what we name our well behaved dogs, if the person in question will not give the dog a chance due to their perception of the breed (thanks mainstream media), it doesn’t matter what the dog’s name is.
    Some people will not put their predjudice aside until they give them a chance.

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  If we named our dogs all Buttercup, Daisy and Duke, we would probably be criticized for misleading the general public!!! 😛  At any rate, I’m glad to see that there are people out there who are looking out for the best interest of the breed, even if we don’t all see eye to eye on method.  Personally, I don’t care how it’s done, as long as our dogs have their people who will stand up for them!  I’d like to make a toast, to all the “Buttercups,” and all the “Killers,” we are all comrades in arms and when it comes right down to it, we will fight to the death, for our much loved, 4 legged family members.  Lol.  Kaos just stole my husbands slipper off his foot and run across the room, just to set it down and drool on it!

kendseycollins
    Participant

Thanks! 🙂  That’s the same reason I joined this site.  As much as I like showing people how great the breed is, it’s nice to be able to talk about my dog without having to first convince people he’s not going to start frothing at the mouth and eating babies for lunch!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.