Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Harassment of Pit Bull

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk General Discussion Harassment of Pit Bull

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    egmujica
    Participant

I am so sorry there are jerks out there! I sympathize because Ive had the same type of a problem where I live. Without even taking my dog for a walk, Ive had pitbull owners, obviously younger and less educated, stop by my house when they’re walking their pits and wait for my dog to notice them. Obviously my dog goes crazy as soon as he sees them. I even had a guy once whos pit didnt acknowledge my dog and his owner hit him upside the head with his flip flop to get im to react to my dogs’ barking. These people are low lifes and shouldnt be allowed to ahve any type of pet

abbyew
    Participant

When my dog was a puppy we would take him to the dog beach.  He was really good and because he would go to work everyday with my husband they are attached at the hip.  Well all hydro did was wanted to play with the other dogs while they played fetch.  So many people would leave because they thought he would attack their dogs.  After that we never went back and just decided to walk him along the regular beach early in the morning.  Well one of my neighbors would walk his dog (a black lab) along the beach and luckily he didn’t care that hydro was a pit.  They had a ball every morning playing in the water and just having fun.  I wish people would get over the stereotypes and see these dogs for what they really are; sweet, loving, obedient, and the best kissers!!  We have recently moved to the midwest to be closer to my family, but we have a german shepherd now too and they are the best of friends.

Fudge’s_Dad
    Participant

Me and my dog Fudge had a issue last week on one of our walks. it was a nice day so we went on a five mile walk and were working on her leash manners. on our way back home a lady with a  little dog walked by us her dog going crazy barking and growling. everything was fine till the little dog jumped on my leg. Fudge turned and gave a little growl but that was it and we kept walking. The lady told me “your dog is dangerous you shouldn’t leave the house without a muzzle”… I replied “you shouldn’t leave the house without a muzzle your annoying, my dog was protecting me from your dog attempting to attack me” She had no idea what to say, I hate how my dog gets such a bad rap just for her breed she is the biggest sweetheart ever!

kendseycollins
    Participant

Wow!  We take our dog EVERYWHERE with us.  People are often skeptical and we get some sideways looks, but Kaos is so endearing that we either ignore them or make friends with them.  I was so proud of him at the 4th of July parade last year!  We took him with us and found a spot on a curb for us, the dog and the kids.  There were two elderly women sitting next to us and they cast a sideways look at first.  By half way through the parade these two women were marveling at how well behaved he was and laughing when he tried to drink the water that floats were spraying as they went by.  They also thought it was very funny when they realized he was sitting so quietly behind me becuase his favorite candy is the pinwheel pepermints and he had quite a pile of wrappers going (don’t know how he learned to unwrap the candy!)  Them and several others around us were singing Kaos’ praise.  Till he went poo on the sidewalk behind us.  But even then, they just thought that it was funny.  There’s also a park we visit when we go see family becuase there are hundreds of geese who roost there and the kids like to feed them.  Kaos loves to watch them, but has never disturbed the birds.  One day we ran into another older woman who said she came to the park every evening to feed the geese.  She stayed her distance at first, but after a while she approached us and, from a little bit off, started asking us questions about Kaos.  Before too long she moved a little closer and finally asked if she could pet him.  Always one for attention, Kaos lolled against her legs and panted up at her with that happy Pit Bull grin.  She laughed and said that she guessed all the talk was just talk because he sure didn’t seem horrible.  We’ve had only one major issue.  We were getting out of the car to go inside our house and Kaos, who is just one of the kids, jumped out of the car with them and came up into the garage, like always.  He’s very friendly and outgoing.  There was a man walking his dog across the street.  Kaos saw and barked once, wagging his tail, but didn’t even leave the garage.  I saw that his bark had startled the man and waved with a smile, saying that I was sorry.  The man looked at me and said, “You should be!”  I was shocked that he would be so rude, then my husband reminded me that Kaos is a Pit and that not everybody loves them as much as we do.  I forgive him for being rude.  After all, it’s not his fault he’s stupid. 🙂 Not to mention he’s the one missing out.

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

Last summer, someone walking by with a small child looked at me and said “your dog looks like he’s going to eat me”. I just smiled and replied that Herman might just do that, like someone would eat a popsicle, one lick at a time!  lol  🙂

raisins mom
    Participant

That is the best reply I have ever heard.  I love it! Great response.

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

While waiting with Herman in a vet’s office lobby, I had someone tell me it’s “too bad” pitbulls existed. Everyone around us was freaking out so I took Herman outside until the meds I was waiting for were brought out. I now have a new vet, a pitbull owner himself. There no racist rants at his office, just understanding and acceptance. Herman is loved and appreciated for who he is, not hated for what he is. : )

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

Personally, I don’t give a furry rat’s ass if people don’t like my dog. I know she’s a mush and so do the people who are unbiased enough to give her a chance.

The rest of them? If they want to leave the park… fine, more room for us! If they want to make snide remarks… they’ll be ignored (that steams them all the more!)

I know what Vanilla is and isn’t. That’s what matters! She’s welcome in my place of work, walking around an office of about 25 people without being leashed and collecting belly rubs in exchange for kisses!

Seriously… just look at my avatar and tell me she’s a menace!

raisins mom
    Participant

I am still a little shocked though the employee’s in the office allowed another client to talk to you like that. I am glad my vet also owns two pitbulls. I’d get a new vet too. Some people just have no tact.

chuerta_1
    Participant

What a pity your cousin’s husband chooses to be ignorant.  Sadly however the real problem is that so many people choose to believe the media and the anti-pit bull propaganda they put out or choose to believe that because they have known of or know some people who have pit bulls that are irresponsible and don’t have good control of their dogs. 

A friend of mine and I just started a pit bull advocacy group here in Portland Oregon called The Portland Pit Bull Project and we host monthly Bully Walks.  We have accepted that you must show people the possibilities because telling them until you are blue in the face will never change their mind.  Of course some people will never, even when shown, change but if you get even one or two people to see pit bulls in a different light and to understand that irresponsible dog owners create dangerous dogs it will be worth the trouble.  If your dogs truly are ‘safe’ dogs that are always 100% within your control then you must showcase them to anyone and everyone you can as often as you can.  Remember that as a pit bull owner you bear a responsibility, unfortunately, to advocate for the breed by showing people just how ‘safe’ pit bulls can be to be around.  You can tell people your dogs are ‘good dogs’ until you run out of breath and they will never listen BUT if you show them they can’t help but believe that what you say about your dogs is true.

I urge you to begin such an event as a Bully Walk in the town where you live.  You’d be amazed just how many responsible pit bull owners you have living in your area and how quickly the word gets out.  My friend started this just last January.  She and I belonged to a Meet-Up group on line called Portlanders Against Breed Bans (I’m sure you could start a Meet-up group on line where you live for Pit Bull Owners/Lovers).  She organized the first walk in January and about twenty people showed up with their dogs, myself included.  I contacted her after the first walk and asked what I could do to help and now we have a facebook page, a blog and will be taking our website live any day now.  Plus because we have worked so hard to get the public involved we have local shelters and rescues plus the local police force K-9 unit supporting us and offering to participate.  The second walk was earlier this month and we had close to 30 people with their dogs.  People who don’t have pits but want to support us come too…it’s for the pit bulls but includes all dogs who want to come out to be with us.  We have our next walk this coming Sunday and we expect around 50 people to be there with their dogs.  We always walk through downtown so as many people as possible can see us.  It’s fun when people honk their horns, shout out they like it and even come running out of stores to ask us what we are doing and how can they get involved.

We have lots of plans to do charitable work and earn money for local shelters, rescues and we plan to help ALL dogs on behalf of the pit bulls.  Things like this get noticed and people do change how they view the dogs after seeing that there are many more responsible pit bull owners out there than there are dog fighters, thugs, drug dealers and gang bangers.

Like the old saying goes, ‘Rather than curse the darkness, light a candle’ so I suppose we could translate it into ‘Rather than curse people for being stupid, educate them by showing them’!

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

Herman’s records were at the first vet clinic when I got him, so I just went with them for continuity. After the anti-pitbull tirade, the search for a different vet began. The whole thing was made even more weird by the fact that I had just commented on how pretty the person’s lab was. Next thing I knew, Herman got scared by all the people and animals inciting him and started barking. When I smiled and explained that Herman loved people, the reply was a sarcastic “obviously”. The situation went south from there.

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

Me too. There were multiple employees present when this happened and not one of them said anything.

i luv my pitbull
    Participant

She’s scary alright, lol. She might cute ya to death!

Yaminpix
    Participant

I have many wonderful experiences with my dog Riley. Lately, I have noticed pet pitbulls everywhere around here! Last time we went to the dog park, there were 6 other pit bulls there 🙂 We had a great time. It makes me feel good seeing so many amazing dogs around. I take Riley everywhere, and I have never had any real judgement issues from other people. Occasionally, elderly people will be wary, but I love old people and it’s never a big deal. Having a dog is a wonderful experience 🙂

@ringotherednose, If I were in your position, I would bring a flip camera or other video recording device with you next time you go on a walk and start recording as soon as you see the guy coming. You don’t have to talk to him or make a big deal about pointing the camera at him, just have it out and casually begin recording your walk when you see him coming. I’d think that would deter him, and if not, you have everything on camera next time you have to phone the police. Clearly this guy isn’t a thinker. I say that not only because of his clear lack of knowledge about pit bull terriers, but also because if he really believed your dog was a threat, why would he want to risk the safety of his own dogs or possibly himself to prove it?

Hope this helps, and best wishes for good experiences with your dog in the future 🙂

kendseycollins
    Participant

Yeah, that’s rough.  My dog is very vocal and I feel kind of bad sometimes becuase he scares people by trying to get their attention.  All he wants is loves, but he’s kind of noisey.  When Kaos was a puppy he got very sick and we had to take him to the vet.  He wanted to be held on my lap the entire time and the vet laughed when I had to carry him into the examiation room.  Come to find out she is deaf and has a pitbull cross of her own.  She explained that she was going to give him an anit-nausea shot and that it stings a little.  Apparently, nobody informed my dog, because after she gave him the shot he took a FLYING leap off the chest high examination table, not onto the floor, but right on top of me!  The expression on his face as he was flying through the air was unmistakable as a “MMMMOOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!” I caught him and he REFUSED to let me put him down the rest of the time.  The vet and the other employees thought it was very funny as I was trying to sign a check while holding him like a little kid, but I didn’t have much of a choice.  If I put him down he tried to climb up my legs till I picked him up again.  My husband was cracking up the whole time.  Kaos wasn’t too upset to turn down the 3 treats the secretaries snuck him over my shoulder though.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.