Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Getting a pit?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andergrl03
    Participant

Hey all I’m new here. My husband, daughter and I found a beautiful 10 month old pit mix in our local shelter. We have been considering the breed for a long time but my parents are so against it we’ve just kind of put it off, even though we don’t live with them, lol. Anyhow, this little guy seems very friendly. Not stand offish at all and came up to the bars for a good butt scratchin’ and gave us all kinds of kisses. We really want to do our research before we make a decision, which is how I found this site. We’ve had GSD’s and rott shepherd mixes but never a pit. Any directions you can point me will be greatly appreciated!

Jessica

houch105
    Participant

im new to pits and my red nose pit is 8 months old now shes just like one of the kids ,shes the most loving dog iv ever owned ,yes she can be a handle full at times but plenty of love and exercise soon calms her down .i cant say to you get a pit of dont get one but from my point of view there the best dogs iv ever come across and i spoil her rotten ,shes my little baby and i love her to bits.

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

Jessica,
    I was in the same position. My Mom is convinced that I’ll be killed one night (Vanilla sleeps with us… and she doesn’t bother our cats).

We went to see my In Laws last night and the rules were that Vanilla stay on a leash and they would NOT sit near her.
    By the end of the night, my Mother in Law was sitting on the couch cuddling her.

The breed does have a bad rep but they really are just like any other dog. They need training and exercise. If you have a fenced in yard where you can supervise him or access to a local dog park, you’re good to go.

Perhaps the shelter would let you foster him for a while. It’s kinda like adoption “lite”. The dog still belongs to the shelter but you keep it at your home.

Do a lot of research to make sure this is the right dog for you… just like you’d want to do with any other breed.

Good luck!

Taana
    Participant

Check out http://www.pbrc.net They are very informative. It is great that you are taking the time to seek out about the breed prior to adopting. They are great animals but you need to be informed and willing to put in the work. P.S. Please stay away from dog parks. Many may feel differently about this but they are not the place for pits or any dog IMO.

Andergrl03
    Participant

The guy we want is a pit/mastiff mix. He’s a pretty big guy, but as sweet as possible. We went and spent hours at the humane society today. In the kennel he would rub against the bars and his whole body would shake until my 7 yr old walked up and he would stop moving and watch her. It made me a little nervous, especially since he hadn’t been evaluated yet. We took him for a walk anyway and he was amazing. He licked her face and when she ran away he just shook his whole body. Then we got to take him into a meeting room where I decided to test him a little. He let us touch him all over, he knows a few commands, doesn’t mind having his tail pulled, face touched, or touching his feet. He was just really sweet and kept drowning my daughter with kisses. He even plays really well. We got him playing he mouths a tiny bit but as soon as we said easy he’d let go and roll over for some belly rubbin’. I really decided I liked him when he tried to pee on my husband, lol. We put in our application so we should know if we get him this week. He will be signed up for CGC training very soon.

amberc922
    Participant

Jessica
    It sounds like you have found a great dog. It is a mix of two very powerful breeds so working him and training is a huge key to controling him. My male pit Ace is from my local humane society. On the 31st of the this month I will have had him for a year. He is 2 now but when I adopted him we had to take our dogs we had already to the shelter to meet him there and see how it went. Everything went really well and he was quite calm until…..he came home lol. He was crazy…he ran and ran and jumped and we just laughed but wow he was completely different when we got him home. So be prepared for that when you bring him home and keep in mind he will be with you for up to 15years of age maybe less cause he is mixed with a x-large breed but it is a long commitment. Mastiffs are somewhat laid back but the pit is crazy so I’m sure he is a good mix to calm the pit side down lol. I don’t know where you live but if the shelter hasn’t mentioned anything to you about the law and owning a pit or pit mix then you might be ok. Where I live you have to have $100,000 in liability insurance on your home owners insurance if you own a pit and then they have to be mussled when walked in public and on steel chains when walked blah blah blah… So they get expensive to own in states and cities that require these dumb things. Also someone mentioned taking him to a dog park to exercise him. Before anyone jumps on here and lectures about dog parks and pits know it is your dog and your decision to do what you want. I take mine to the dog park so to each there own. My advice in going to the dog park is go first by yourself and see what the environment is like. If it’s really busy then watch the owners and their dogs. Watch the dogs and see the way they play and act with other dogs. Then if you think it looks ok try it out and try it first when it’s not busy so it isn’t to overwhelming for him.
    I read you were going to put him through CGC 🙂 AWSOME!!! My Kira is CGC certified and an awsome dog. Not to brag on my own child but I get complements on her everywhere she goes lol.

If you have any questions feel free to email me I would be glad to assit.

Amber

pitmaster23
    Participant

hi im new and planning on getting a neo mastiff pitty cros but i have a toy poodle he’s my mom’s ^_^

KaylasMom
    Participant

Thank you for wanting to adopt a pittie, rather than buy from a backyard breeder!

First things first…DO YOUR RESEARCH!  I cannot stress that enough!  Pits are no different than any other dog out there, but because of the awful prejudice against them and their owners, being a pit owner means that you have to be the best of the best in how you raise your dog.  Your dog has to be as socialized as you can get him.  You need to take him to as many classes as you can.  You will need to do small training sessions each and every day of his life.  Take him as many places as you can go so he can experience what the world has to offer.  There is so much that you will be responsible for to make sure that your pit is a canine good citizen.

You also need to be prepared for the looks, the stares, the comments, the fear, people pulling their children away from you and your dog, and so much more.  Owning a pit bull takes a strong heart and calm temperament with what ignorant individuals will say and do.  That was the hardest thing for me to adjust to.  But, as long as YOU are educated, can talk calmly about the breed, guide people to the CORRECT vision of the breed, don’t make a spectacle when people shy away from you, and can speak the facts about the breed, you will be a successful owner.  Getting acquainted with the breed before adopting is a smart thing to do.  Be armed with as much knowledge as you can, as that will get you far.  Hook up with others in meetup groups or pit bull groups locally to learn and help socialize the dog. 

There is a lot to owning any breed of dog.  It isn’t an animal that you can just feed and ignore.  Dogs require rules, training, limitations, patience, love, and so much more.  Loving a dog isn’t enough.  They need us to guide them to make the right decisions.  They need us.  Period.  But having a pit bull means so much more.  It means that we have to make our dog the breed ambassador! 

Here are some very helpful websites that will educate you in pit bulls, BSL, and the many other things that come with being owned by a pittie:

http://www.pbrc.net

http://www.realpitbull.com

http://www.dontbullymybreed.org

http://www.badrap.org

http://www.hellobully.com

This is just a start, but these are some of the BEST pit bull websites out there.  You can learn SO much from them.  Start there, and then go adopt that wonderful little guy if you think you are ready! 

Good luck!   🙂

pitmaster23
    Participant

oh trust me if someone says something mean about my dog they will be cussed into next year….just sayin :/

KaylasMom
    Participant

I hope that you are joking about that, as cussing at someone about your dog will just instill the idea that pit buill owners are all evil, mean, and tough.  That isn’t the image good pit bull owners want to portray!  We need to help clean up the image of the dog and the owner; not make it worse.

pitmaster23
    Participant

its only if someone is like standing there calling my dog a mean evil b**** or dirty mutt or even worse then I WILL defend my dog. I wont just stand there and let someone verbally attack my dog. but if they are like a distance and not all in my face about it i just walk away simple as that but if they come up to my face while im walking and say get that ugly b**** outta here then its one cuz I WILL defend my dog if someone does that. Luckily i havent had too. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.