Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Gender Aggression

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Gender Aggression

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    itzihuariquintero
    Participant

Hello 🙂

Hello 🙂
    I seem to be having a little issue with my 7 month puppy. When we are with friends and they are female she is at her sweetest, but when there are men around she gets tense and starts barking, growling and charging, never out of control but I am afraid of it escalating. Today a friend was trying to pet her but she wouldn’t budge but the second he turned around and we started walking she lunged and tried to nip his calf.
    Me and my husband got her from an animal shelter and don’t know her story but the funny thing is she is fine with my husband. I really love my pup Kiba and would really appreciate any help because she really is a great dog.
    Please help me… I’m sure I did something wrong in her training
    🙁

CheaH
    Participant

There could be a number of reasons why she doesn’t like men. You ned to assoicate men as good to her. You can do this by whenever a man is coming around let him present her with a treat before she gets aggressive. When the give your dog the treat they don’t need to try to pet her but wait and see if she come around.

itzihuariquintero
    Participant

Well, actually they have tried that, but she just smells it cautiosly and backs away quickly. 🙁 well, it could be because we were in a group, maybe if it’s just one on one. I’ll try that 🙂 thanks

VickieMiller24
    Participant

I’ve had several dogs that seem to be very cautious and even scared around men. I have a nephew that several dogs didn’t want him around. No matter how big or small these dogs even his own would bite him. So I figured that they sense when someone could hurt them. Meaning clumsy or something they smell in the fluids that comes from the mans body, they smell it and that makes them very cautious of him. I say that b/c no matter what dog it was or breed they all had one thing in common they did not want him around. I had one that would hear him drive up and go crazy. So I drew a conclusion that just like a child can sense bad in people so can a dog. And this one particular dog even hated every man that came from that particular family. I figured that the DNA in them smelled so much alike that she identified them all as the same. Strange but true.

itzihuariquintero
    Participant

Hahaha that’s actually kinda funny, I do feel bad for your nephew though (sorry.. :P) but that could be it… I mean another thing that i forgot to mention is that although pitbulls are known to be dog aggressive my Kiba has a halfway point. Like she LOVES to play with any dog or cat that wants to play with her but if they don’t, it’s like she senses something and starts to want to attack. So it could be that she senses this in men too, like it could just be with particular men. She likes my brother but not my dad, she likes my father-in-law but not some friends… hmm I think we got something here… but i still wish to neutralize the behavior to where she is at least tolerant

raisins mom
    Participant

Raisin is fearful of many people he meets, esp men so I decided that my best option was to not force people on him. I don’t hide him eithter. I will have them toss him treats, good stuff like chicken or hotdog and ignore him. I keep him on a leash tho so I he can’t get near someone and bite them out of fear. Another option you may try is dogs love to go for walks. Leash up your dog and take your friend with you enjoy an outing. It’s great for your and you (even tho it’s winter and like many I prefer to be in the house) it’s stil an option. You want your dog to see that when a man she doesn’t like is around great things happen. Another is yer family that she is reacting to may be emiiting a sense of uneasyness around her that she is picking up on. So make it a great event when they come over.
    Lastly I have said it on here before because Iswear by it, but where I live the SPCA offers low cost dog training and it works. Raisin and I go each week and the instructors have been wonderful and helped him get over some his fears.

itzihuariquintero
    Participant

Oh yes that does sound like a good idea, thank you. The only problem is there’s no SPCA around where I live 🙁 I wish we did, it seems like a great program they have goin on

raisins mom
    Participant

That is to bad you don’t have an SPCA around your area. They are awesome here where I live. Most offer free spay or neuter for your pitbulls. They have obdience classes and “tricks” class. Even low cost shots and microchipping. Thats such a bummer you dont have it near you. Well I hope all the other tips you receive here are helpful and good luck to you. = )

VickieMiller24
    Participant

I hate to sound stupid, and I’m sure if I thought about it long enough I could figure out what SPCA means. Do you know if their available in OKLAHOMA ? The pit bull is still allowed in one of the Pet Smarts for grooming just happens to be in the same city I live in. You know, I really don’t get it. The pit bull that I raised from a baby up wouldn’t know how to fight if her life depended on it. I’ve never even seen her growl at anyone except me. And she was growling b/c I had food and she wanrted it. Funny dog. SThe one I adopted thinks hes doing his job by growling and barking uh that would be at anyone who opens my bedroom door at night.I’m trying to help him see that he can just be a dog now if he wants to. Don’t really know what to do. Anyway I could use some of their help with him. He doesn’t really like anyone but me and my son. I want him to have a happy life. Someone killed his bro and sis. Pouring hot oil on her back and scholding her. Wow. And they want to banned the pit bull. Think that person should be banned….

VickieMiller24
    Participant

I always thought it was the fluids being secreted by my nephew and he is clumsy. I think they can sense that he could hurt them even if it is an accident, they have to survive and protect themselves.

raisins mom
    Participant

It’s the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ours rescues and adopts out animals, does shot clinics and training. If you google Oklahoma SPCA I see there is one in Tulsa but not sure where you are at. Its a great organization.

VickieMiller24
    Participant

Thank you I never would have figured that out on my own. I will check it out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.