Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

FInally! People who know what pit bulls really are!

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Human Talk Introductions FInally! People who know what pit bulls really are!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Okiepitluvr
    Participant

I am BRAND new to the site, and pretty dang new to the Pit world.  About a year ago, my husband and I rescued a pit mix from a local shelter.  At the time, she was pretty skinny and we weren’t really sure what she was.  We just new she was VERY sweet and needed a chance.  Eventually, Piper filled out and our vet informed us what kind of dog we had.  It didn’t take us long to figure out that the media was VERY biased against Pits, and blames these dogs for what their owners do!  Anyway, Piper has graduated from 2 obedience classes & is doing agility now.  She loves it.  She’s great with our dogs (even our Jack Russell, who’s a jerk I must say).

I have to ask–how do you deal with the ignorance from the general public?  Piper and I stopped in  a local pet store on our way to agility class one night.  I noticed a lady leading a little fluffy, yappy dog.  She kept walking by staring at me.  She eventually walked up to me and informed me my dog was a “Pit.”  While we were talking the little fluffy, rabid acting dog was growling at Piper, who was trying her best to hide behind me.  The lady then informed me that she did not believe dogs “like that” should be in public (fluffy dog is trying her best to get past me to Piper this ENTIRE time).  I thanked the lady and told  her I  had noted her opinion, hoping this would be the end of it.  However, it wasn’t (I’m figured out where her dog got it’s personality from).  After listening to the “evils” of the Pit world, I finally explained to the lady that my dog wasn’t the one causing the seen in the local pet store and maybe she should follow me to dog school.  She got the point–finally! I am sure there is a better way to deal with people like that but I honestly was so taken aback I didn’t know what to say to her.  Any suggestions for future reference???

I have to say I am RELIEVED to find other people who see these awesome dogs for what they are!  Thanks!

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  Welcome to the wonderful world of Pit Love! 🙂 I’m so glad that you gave your girl a chance.  They really are the most mis-represented breed out there.  You develop a thick skin dealing with agressive people.  Each situation is unique.  I think you were absolutely right to point out to her that she was the one with a dog that shouldn’t be allowed into public places!!!  It can be disheartining at times, dealing with all the negativity, but I would put up with ten crotchety old women with nasty little dogs to see one person discover how much a pit has to offer!  It is very nice to have a place to talk dogs without first having to convince the person you’re talking to that, no, you’re not insane, yes, you know it’s a pit, no, he’s not dangerous and yes, I know he doesn’t seem all that bad!  Usually I just tell people, yes, it does take a special breed of person to own a pit (wink, wink.)  Congratulations on your induction into the elite group of people known as “Those Crazy Pitbull Owners!”

There are alot of online resources for pit owners. They literally have thousands of sites for training, behaviour, feeding, and all that goes with having a pit. There are also lots of groups that you can join that will be “local” clubs, organizations, and pet lovers meet-ups. Areally god site to visit for some awesome information, that you can print, and put out for others to learn a little about the breed. http://www.pbrc.net It is Pitbull Rescue Central.

Okiepitluvr
    Participant

Glad to know I’m not the crazy one!  I was getting a complex!  Just hard to believe that people blame the WHOLE breed for a few stupid people…

Jessie1127
    Participant

I feel your pain!

You really do have to develop a tough skin, and just be really friendly about your lovely pit. If you conduct yourself like there isn’t anything bad in the media about pitbulls, and treat the breed like it doesn’t have a bad reputation, it really helps..

For example.. I had to take my baby Rocky to the vet. He’s a big dog, strong. We came in early, and there was only one other lady and her small dog in the waiting room. He was a pug mix. Well, Rocky is naturally curious, and was pulling to go smell this dog. The little dog also wanted to meet Rocky. The owner was cautious though, and giving Rocky and I the stink eye, due to his being a pitbull. I gave her the biggest smile I had, and said, “Wanna let them sniff? Once Rocky meets him, he will calm right down!” I was so positive, (and in her mind ignorant I’m sure) she was a little stunned. So stunned in fact that her dog got that last bit of leash to come over and sniff Rocky. Rocky took a couple whiffs of the runt, turned around, and walked to my mother who had sat down on the other side of the waiting room, and acted like a perfect gentleman after that. =)

Oh, I forgot to mention, the lady was very friendly to me the rest of the day! She said Rocky was beautiful, and very friendly. Woo! Won one over for the team! Haha =)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.