Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Dog Park Drama

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Dog Park Drama

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Armywife_Barrett
    Participant

I am a responsible owner, and I’m familiar with the breed. Thank you BigRedTJ for your concern, but I certainly don’t need you to feel sorry for me. I did my research, and that’s why I got her. I picked the shyest, quietest puppy in the litter because I knew she’d have a great temperament. I’m aware that they were bred to hunt, to have an instinct to lock on and not let go. I am well aware that if she wanted to, my dog could literally EAT another dog. But she’s never in a situation where she feels the need to. Taking her to the dog park isn’t a “situation”. When another dog gets crazy she looks at me (literally) for guidance. I’m her pack leader and she waits for me to make a move in every situation of our day to day lives. That said, I am always on the look out for problems. ALWAYS! I am one step ahead of her at all times when we are out in public because it is my job to see an issue before it’s an issue. I know that. I have removed her from a dog park once because another dog was making her nervous. I have leashed her at a dog park once because she was playing too rough with a puppy. I know her limits and her body language; I know the look in her eye when she sees something I haven’t, and in these situations I correct her immediately. I don’t appreciate you accusing me of risking your ability to own a pitbull. That’s just rude. I also don’t appreciate you telling me that I haven’t done my research, because I have. I also have a degree in Animal Behavior Management, and have worked at dog training facilities. If I can train a hyena, bobcat, raccoon, etc to trust me and obey me(which I have) then I’m pretty sure I have what it takes to own a pitbull. But thanks so much for your concern…

BigRedTJ
    Participant

First off you were the one to go after me… that being said good for you :)…..Now as far as shy and withdrawn puppies the are all yours, as that is not what a well bred pitbull puppy should be. I train dogs as well personal protection, obedience, french ring, ect…I never said YOU did not do YOUR research. I said PEOPLE need to do their research. I noticed alot of people on here get really upset if someone has an opinion that differs from theirs…well too bad cry me a river. So we are cleardog parks are STILL a bad idea.

rollergrrl03
    Participant

It makes no matter what breed it is…a pitbull or a chihuahua…everybody should do research before getting a dog. The only bad thing about doing “research” for a pit, is that a lot of the “findings” out there are one sided…supposedly they are all such terrible, brutal dogs. In most scenarios, research has shown that dog bite victims almost always say it was a pit that attacked them without knowing for sure. I have to agree with Armywife on this one. I know the “look.” I know when to remove Murphy from a situation, I get the same look from my dog, Sasha (chow-sharpei mix.) I rescued Murphy last february who was thrown from a car. He was abused, malnourished, and very afraid of new people. He has turned into the most loyal companion…which proves how this breed of dog can bounce back from such a terrible experience. He is smart, he knows silent hand commands. He LOVES children, and other dogs. Every vet or trainer I have ever talked to about the breed has told me that they are wonderful dogs….BigRed, I would think you would know that. I take my dogs EVERYWHERE with me…Holidays, fairs, camping, parties, dog parks…never ONCE have I had an issue with him being aggressive. The one time I tried putting him in a fenced in back yard at a party, he put his paws through the fence and acted as though he was stuck, whimpering and crying. When we opened the gate to free him, he pulled his paws out and ran into the area where all the people were, and layed down…content. He just wanted to be included in the activities. Sounds like SOMEBODY needs to do some research, and quit buying into all of the one sided findings out there.

I_own_pits
    Participant

why is that. the more they socialize the better.

BigRedTJ
    Participant

Well rollrrgrl I have raised these dogs all my life never said they are BAD dogs but genetics plays a role and some dogs can’t be cured of dog aggression just the way it is. Now if you mean me by SOMBODY you are sadly mistaken I have seen the victims of dog fighting while working at a vet and some not all can be rehabilitated. Dog aggression is not the only reason I don’t agree with dog parks. Viruses worms parasites all can be transmited at dog parks. Not every dog does well in dogpark settings you have a lot of people breeding unsound dogs together and that is why we have such bad media on the breed. Check out Diane Jessups site on pitbulls then tell me I don’t know what I am talking about as far as APBT are concerned I have owned these dogs long before most of the general public they are not for everyone so do YOUR research.

amberc922
    Participant

Rollergrrl I am so glad I’m not the only one that is annoyed with Big Red’s posts. Doesn’t it seem like he is a poor advocate for the breed when all he does is say how dangerous they are and NO ONE does their research. I have looked at most of these posts and read his and the funny thing is they are ALL negative. It is funny how he thinks that people are getting mad because of his opinions do agree with some but they don’t agree with ALL and after reading the same repeat crap over and over you would think he would just SHUT UP about it. I agree with you and Armywife completely. Regardless of poor breading or not I resuced my one pit from the humane society and the other I got from a friend. It sounds as though he is SUCH A GOOD trainer/owner that he can’t take the challenge of a troubled dog LOL. Oh well maybe oneday he will get over himself and post something postive. LOL

BigRedTJ
    Participant

Amber…where to begin my post are not negative they are to caution new owners as to what can potentially happen. Amber have you ever had to break up a yard fight I mean a serious fight, dogs bleeding tearing into each other? I have not my dogs but two strangers who had no clue what a break stick is or how to use one. Just because your “puppies” have never got into it dosen’t mean it can’t happen. Now speaking of negative post I was honored you dedicated time to start a whole thread about me. Which you ranted and raved like a 2 year old because people have differing opinions. But it is nice to know you are stalking all my post I didn’t know you cared take care. 🙂

rollergrrl03
    Participant

I have done my research, and Murphy is proof of that. I don’t buy into the crap. You are ignorant. You shouldn’t be on a pro pit site talking all of these negative things about the breed. As far as viruses, worms, parasites…not a problem if you CARE FOR YOUR DOG. You are one of the people adding to the problem not the solution. Yes, certain breeds have certain quirks. However, I am a firm believer that if you treat your dog right, they will be good to you. Chows are supposed to be mean dogs as well. Sasha, my chow mix has NEVER attacked or bitten anyone. I rescued her because she was a bait dog used in a fighting ring. So according to your theory, both Sasha and Murphy should not have been able to be rehabilitated. Another example, Mastiffs were you used for fighting back in the days of the gladiators….it was a trait BRED INTO THEM. But now, they are known as one of the best house dogs to have. I believe while, nature plays a role, nurture plays a HUGE role in how a dog turns out after traumatizing experiences. In my opinion, you don’t deserve to own such a wonderful breed of dog. You CANNOT be pro pit, yet warn others not to rescue them. What makes you a better pit owner than anybody else on this site?

Psalmopoeus
    Participant

Wow. I think ya’ll need to just shut the -f- up and grow up. This is immature. Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics – it’s retarded and NO ONE ever wins.

People have opinions. They will always differ. Grow up and accept advice and criticism for what it is; someone’s take on the topic at hand.

I’m not taking sides, and this isn’t grade school anymore. This is an internet forum for people to get constructive criticism, advice and help. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

BigRedTJ
    Participant

I will say once again warning someone to do research about a breed of dog is not bad press as you would have it….Now me not deserving to own this breed…I have owned these dogs all my life and I think I have a good grasp on the breed Sport :). I never said I was better nor did I set out and attack anyone as several PEOPLE on here have of me. Now Mastiffs in Romean times were bred to be dogs of war and were used in the colussium, but the were refured to as Mossular dogs(italian strain Cane corsa deceneded from these dogs). True Mastiffs I think you are referencing old english and not neopalitain or filas were bred to stop and HOLD poachers not fighting as you describe they were the night watchmans dog. Their is this wonderful thing called freedom of speech it exist in this place called America their was a big war fought over it. Oh and I never said I was better then anyone I just do my research. I love the personal attacks and that you think I am ignorant 🙂 I was wondering if you are going to be stalking my post as well. 🙂

rollergrrl03
    Participant

psalmopoeus…what do you know about pits? i would be interested in knowing…

Psalmopoeus
    Participant

I have raised APBTs, I currently have an APBT that I’ve raised from a puppy and I also have an underlying education in sociology and psychology, as well as animal psychology and animal behavior. I’ve owned dogs all of my life and have done animal behavior assessment as well as dog training.

As far as extensive genetics goes with dogs, I know barely enough to get me by, but I’m still learning as I don’t readily have access that goes that far in-depth on the subject. With pits, bloodlines (and not just how the dog is raised and socialized) play a huge part in a dog’s underlying personality.

My post wasn’t to raise cane – this constant bickering’s stupid. This is an internet forum and needs to be treated as such. It’s not for name-calling and an “I know more than you” attitude.

It’s for helping people.

amberc922
    Participant

Psalmopoeus, I agree with you on the site is to help pit owners. Not to force negitive information. I hate the I know more than you attitude. Which mentioned above some on here think they have. Most people on here are educated on thier dogs it they aren’t then they ask simple questions for advice, which is what this site is for! I agree and disagree on the bloodline having a personality of the dog but to each his own. I just watched the new episode of Dogs 101 on the Animal Planet and they had experts speak on the dogs and they did a great job explaining the breed.

Amber

raisins mom
    Participant

Thanks for updateing about Dogs101! I hadn’t seen they were doing a show on the pibbles! Now I have to go set the dvr for the next time its on. Thanks again!!!!

CadenandBoogersMom
    Participant

Caden is great with all dogs. I don’t think there has ever been a dog that he hasn’t gotten along with. I most likely won’t be bringing him to the dog park, as my husband just thinks it’s too much of a risk, since people are so “ugh” about the breed. For those who suggested I walk him rather than dog park, I do, everyday twice a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.