Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Dog Park Drama

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Dog Park Drama

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    CadenandBoogersMom
    Participant

My oldest APBT Caden is so good, he loves to meet new dogs but is so abrasive that others do not want to play with him. Anyone with this issue? I am really at a stand still. He just does this loud annoying scream. Please help, any tips will work.

Zr
    Participant

You may want to try setting up play dates with other dogs with similar playing styles.

Taana
    Participant

LOL I know what you mean about the scream. Beastley does it too. We even had the sheriff’s show up at our house because someone thought we were abusing our dogs and they were screaming in pain. Of course this wasn’t true, pits are known to scream and he was playing with is almost industructable ball and rope. We had to show the sheriff’s so they could see what was happening. They laughed and left.
    I agree with Zr setting up play dates with similar dogs may help. Is your dog muzzled? If not try that until the other dogs get used to him. When he is abrasive, make a loud noise (sounding painful) then remove him from play time for a few minutes. Pits learn fast and it may take a few times but be consistant and he will learn if he is rough he loses playtime. Good Luck.

bullypaws
    Participant

Pit Bulls do NOT belong at dog parks! Especially muzzled! Do not bring your Pit Bull to the dog park. End of story. There’s plenty of other things to do with your dog.

shadesofblue
    Participant

I don’t really think any dog belongs at a dog park, dog parks seem to be places people bring their dogs so they don’t have to watch them while they talk and drink coffee.

Alekat
    Participant

I used to take my dog to the dog parks when he was a puppy and all the other bigger dogs pushed him around and he would always go belly-up. When he got bigger and played with the other dogs the owners did not like it. My dog was kicked out of every dog park in the area. I came to realize that a lot of times “dog people” are usually the worst and they usually are the first to discriminate towards pitbulls. I read also pitbulls should not be in dog parks so now bruno goes for 3 walks a day or 2 walks and running with me. I think he likes it better and he gets to play catch at home with my boyfriend.

jawbrkr
    Participant

I had great luck socializing my pup with play dates with other bully breeds so they could play rough; boxers and pits mostly.

BigRedTJ
    Participant

It is a PITBULL…these dogs do not belong in dogparks. My girl is well trained but I would never put her in a situation with bad owners of other dogs. Remember no matter how much you raise them to be social these dogs have been bred to be the way they are. Yes trainning helps but the other side of the coin is what genetic traits the parents have. In the case of a dog from a shelter you will never know the history of dogs back ground. That being said you are better off getting a dog that is a year old as you know what you are going to get temperment wise. But never let your gard down these dogs require a firm but fair owner. My dog gets 3-4 mile walks in the morning and at night these are working dogs they need a job to do. Another thing is just because a dog is agressive towards other dogs dosen’t make them bad just will require more work. Genetics plays a huge role you could have dogs who’s parents were great dogs but the gradsire was a manbiter that trait skips generations do to ressesive genes. Sorry for the long post and derailing the thread alittle.

kingcoffee75
    Participant

Look, ther is no dog like the APBT and never will be! You must be patient with these animals at all times and you will be rewarded greatly. My newest puppy has the persona of someone that has been here before. He hates to be held, on the furniture, and harrassed. but at the sametime, he is a ball of energy when we go outdoors. Try other APBT and see how that works out for you. sometimes your own kind is the only kind!

Armywife_Barrett
    Participant

Wow with all the hating of pits in dog parks. My pit was raised in the dog park in SoCal. On any given day there would be 30+ dogs there. Sure there were owners who let their dogs off leash and then didn’t pay attention; that’s why I paid attention. If Sasha got too rough she’d get a time out. Because she has a high pain tolerance she puts up with a lot more play abuse than most others dogs would. But if another dog growls at her she submits and mouth licks. I know that she is a pit, and that it is my responsibility to protect others from her and her from others. She knows I’m the pack leader, and she listens. If there were any doubts in my mind I wouldn’t take her, but she’s been attacked by other dogs before and immediately submitted. She didn’t even try to defend herself. I know my pit inside and out and am a vigilant and responsible owner. I’m very sorry for you, BigRedTJ and bullypaws, that you don’t share the bond with your dogs that I have with mine. I also don’t have a huge, muscled “impressive” pitbull. I have a petite boxer-build 53lb dog. Other owners are not intimidated by her and she doesn’t feel the need to “muscle” her way around.

BigRedTJ
    Participant

I am sorry for you Armywife you have an accident waiting to happen…..I do have a really strong bond with my dog and BullyPaws is a rescue and they know a whole lot more about the breed then you give them credit for. I have met them many times and been to several of their addoptions. Now I have had these dogs sense my dad had them when he was little in Mississippi before moving to VA. That being said the most dangerous owner of these dogs is the one who is blind to what these dogs can do when put in a situation…like a dogpark. I suggest you check out Diane Jessups site as well as read some of Richard Strattons books hard to find, but they are out there if you really wanna understand the breed…these are not labs or poodles they require work. did you watch the episode where ceaser millan put to pits together and they locked on to each other??? I really hope you read those books and do some research I don’t want to lose my right to keep my dog because I read about another inccident.

mom of 3 pits
    Participant

I am new to pits, we rescued Bailey who was abused by her breeders, we believe she was training to fight. We showered her with tons of love, touching, playing, and socializing.What an absolutely wonderful pet she is today! Even better, she did not lose that pit ornery side of herself. So, when the nephew’s pit had pups we had to go look! Yep now we have 3…lol.
    Having 3 is challenging at times, but the rewards are well worth it, they are such funny dogs with personality plus. HOwever owning a Pit takes respondsibility, they just don’t get away with what other breeds do!

amberc922
    Participant

Keep telling yourself your a perfect dog owner. Its people that say things like that that make other afraid of the breed. So you refer to Ceaser which he never talks down about pits and there you go talking down about pits because the dog owners were irresponsable in that episode. No one is perfect! But Jumping to a rude defense of the breed is not that answer. I know smaller dogs that do more damage than my dogs could ever do. RELAX!

BigRedTJ
    Participant

I am in no way telling people to be afraid I just would love for people to do there research before getting these types of dogs…again so my point is clear genetics DOES play a role and it is not all in how you raise them. Yes it helps curb canine aggression but won’t be the solution. This is not an attack I was not the one accusing someone of having a “tough” macho dog. I am just trying to get through to some people to please do your research. These dogs were bred this way for hundreds of years you just can’t train it out of them but you can curb it. Just be responsable.

amberc922
    Participant

I like posts like this. I know what you mean my making you laugh. My first pit was Kira she is about 1 1/2yrs now. She has her own personality which has become some what more serious now. She cracks me up when I talk to her and she looks at you like she is going to answer you. She will give me the huff or whimper and I just laugh at her. Ace is my baby boy. He is a rescue who was raised the first year of his life in the humane society. He clung to me like glue when I got him home. He is the funniest dog ever and he literally smiles all the time. When I get home from work its play time for the night. We have “mommy time” where we go into my bedroom and play and wrestle around usually I loose with the kisses and end up soaked in slobers lol. They love it. It is their special time with me one on one. I try to do it as much as I can. I have them trained with water bottles. If they start to act up all I have to do is grab that bottle and bam the sit right down and look around like what I wasn’t doing anything. So when we are outside and they get way to rough the garden hose is used and it doesn’t ever even have to be turned on and they calm right down. That didn’t work to well for my mom and her pit cause she loves water. You can spray her in theface and she’s like yeah give me more come on. She’s like a lab with water absolutly halarious!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.