Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

Digging holes in the yard

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training Digging holes in the yard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Reece’s Mommy
    Participant

Reece is 6.5 months old and amazingly smart and trainable. My issue is that he has naughty puppy pals who teach him bad habits like digging in the yard! I don’t want to stop his puppy dates because he needs the socialization – especially in Minnesota where dog parks are obsolete 4-6 months out of the year but I can’t keep filling the holes in the yard and my neighbors are getting annoyed (I live in a Co-op and technically the backyard is a common area). I want to teach him that digging is not good behavior but haven’t a clue about how to. Any tips would be appreciated. It isn’t as if I can sit outside with him and always catch him in the act, he really enjoys his outside time and can lay in the yard for hours.

raisins mom
    Participant

When you get the answer please let me know Raisin is a digger. If we get the ground wet, he will dig a hole big enough to lay in. We were debating getting him a sandbox. The kids kind with a lid on it so he could go out and dig in it instead of our yard. So I be curious to see what other people have done to stop the problem. We have put toys out there, still digs. Last night he and our GSD came in w/lines across their noses from digging.

houch105
    Participant

Yer me to please bailey is for ever digging as soon as I fill the hole in and go back inside she’s at it again then sits there looking at me as if to say look what it just done for you are you pleased lol.

Reece’s Mommy
    Participant

Well glad to see I’m not the only one! I was flirting with the idea of giving him a bath each time he dug a hole because A)he hates the bath and B)he tracks the mud through my house. I was thinking he would stop digging if he associated the digging with bath time but I think that will back fire on me some how.

amberc922
    Participant

Reece’s Mommy,
    My guess is a bath won’t help. When Kira gets bored you can turn around and she will have a crator dug in my backyard. I live in Ohio so when in the spring mostly and any time it rains really good it will be nothing to open the back door and she meets me with mud caked paws. grrrr. Most of the time I just use baby wipes to clean the mud off of both my pits feet but when she gets the caked on she gets carried straight to the bathtub and her feet get scrubbed. She hates it but she STILL digs. I don’t think there is an answer to be honest with you. LOL good luck Amber

Reece’s Mommy
    Participant

🙁 Thanks anyway Amberc922

cestrada
    Participant

My dog daisy is always digging, i think the reason is she gets bored with her toys and buries them to go onto something else, so far i have dug up chew toys, dishes and old bones, gotta love my dog

Reece’s Mommy
    Participant

Cestrada, Reece doesn’t bury his toys he prefers to lay in the ‘cool’ dirt. Now that it’s fall her in Minnesota and cooling down isn’t really necessary, I am hoping to break him of the habit! I do love the whole premise behind burying your toys though – it shows how smart they are and their need to keep their valuables safe! HA!

houch105
    Participant

my pup kept digging so i planted mint in all the mud areas she now has stopped touch wood she cant stand the smell of mint

chuckiem
    Participant

My 10 year old, Haoli, never dug as a pup. I now have a 5 month old, Brigit, who is digging craters in the back yard. My yard is fenced in and she loves to be outside. We also live in Florida and will not have frozen ground. She’ll be able to dig all year round if I can’t stop this.

raisins mom
    Participant

HMMM – mint. I gonna try and put some in pots around my house and see if that keeps him from chewing the wood siding. He has tons of toys and our other dog to play with and he still chews wood. He finds branches to chew as well. I give him kongs filled w/ peanut butter when he is in his crate but I don’t want to give him that stuff when he out w/ our other dog. They are always feed seperately to prevent any fights. I been spraying the deterent spray on the walls and that seems to help some.

He also seems to not like toys that he can not destroy. He plays w/ them for a bit then goes and finds something he can tear apart. I have started pulling caps and rings off water bottles and the lables and let him smash them up before they go in the recycleables, but I have to watch him to make sure he doesn’t break off any of the plastic.

houch105
    Participant

lol bailey still chews wood shes got an old tree stump that she chews in the garden on now gets a bit messy but id sooners clean chewed wood up than replace panels on the house

raisins mom
    Participant

Yes I have a couple panels and a beam, oh and a hole in the wall of my house to replace/repair. I been spraying some dog repellents on the walls and that slows him down. I go through a bottle every 2 days. It says it stays on for 4 days, haha they didn’t test it on a determined lil pibble. I had bought a botlle of chew stop, but funny story I set it on the couch in the bag and went out to dinner. It leaked on the couch. So as I am drying couch cushions, etc I start getting this horrid taste in my mouth. I had that taste for 3 days. Dumbo me wasn’t thinking to use gloves and wound up having it go into my skin. Im almost despeate enuff to go find a large stump and throw it in my backyard for him.

AhBrieAnas Marma
    Participant

Unfortunately I don’t have an answer but I do have some advice. Do NOT let your dog chew on wood. My mother use to let her pup chew on branchs, twigs, etc. until one day Shadow wasn’t eating, moving, nothing. She noticed bloody loose stool in the backyard. She rushed Shadow to the vet. After a series of questions the vet was suspecting the Shadow’s inside had been torn to piece by the wood. He under went emergency surgery. His stomach, bowels, everything had been cut into pieces. Luckily the vet was able to stitch everything back together only after thousands of dollars. He stayed on a very strict diet, because he couldn’t process food normally, until he passed due to complications. I know my mother would be glad to fill holes or buy an endless amount of spays and toys to have him back. Please don’t let your bundle of joy chew on wood.

houch105
    Participant

thanks for that letting us know that ill get rid of the stump id sooner have to keep buying toys than a dead dog ,time for the tree stump to go i think

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.