Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

deaf pit pup

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hailys family
    Participant

I need advise, we got our pit pup 2 months ago, was not told she was deaf. I have never owned a deaf dog and was unsure if i could keep her. Anyway i couldnt give up so easy. So as of now she sits, shakes, and lays with using hand signs. However for about one month now she has become very hyper, she knocks my 5 year old down and then jumps on him trying to bite at him.Nothing seems to get her to not do this. she also is has ecome very jealous of my other dog, as soon as she sees him next to any of us she will run full force jump on him and bite his neck. and the other problem she has seperation issues real bad. I just am not sure if I can keep her if i can not train her. She is over excited around kids under 8 and really bullys them. and that has me worried. and i feel as for not hearring is making traing real hard.

JohnnyC
    Participant

I have the same problem can anyone help?

geesspots
    Participant

we had and every once and a while still have a prob with our youngest daughter.  we found that working on dominace training worked well.  Every day we the whole family would get our dog to lay down on his side feet away from us ( so theres no risk of scratching ) at first we would have to restrain his head and we would pet touch rub him all over so that he got use to our touch. I know this sounds a little barbaric but it works wonders when we took him to dog trainning this was the first thing the instructor wanted us to do and was blown away when I told our pup to lay down and with out restraint was able to rub him all over including openin his mouth and checking his teeth.  On top of that we trained our children to not put up with to make themselves big and let him know that this is not ok that is not to say that ever once and a while he doesnt get all hyped up ( he chases his tail and this gets him going ) and may knock over our two year old but she can just get out of the way.  Some of the other things we do is we all take turns feeding him.  this involves a ritual we go for a walk return to home he waits by his crate someone gets his food, he sits and then lays down the food is placed at his front feet but he has to wait untill he makes eye contact with who ever is feeding him.  ( the dog trainer said that this is a little over board or to qoute her ” theres no need to be a jerk” but this is the ritual that the dog himself started and we just continued )

As for the aggresive behavior/jealousy I have simular issues so if you get some good tips please pass them on .

BellasIronMaden
    Participant

i looked up a few things for you here are the links. hope they help. i havn’t had a deaf dog myself but i hope the information on these sites help.  the deafdogs.org seems to be one of the best ones i’ve looked at. again hope this helps you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2109533_traindeafdog.html

deafdogs.org/training

www.deafdogs.org/training/signs.php

kendseycollins
    Participant

I would also say that this sounds like a respect issue.  The dominance training should help, we did the same thing when we taught our dog to roll over.  Dogs being on their sides or back is a very submisive position. You may have to be firm at first and your puppy may struggle. If he’s still small enough, you can cradle him in your arms like a baby. This is what we did with our pit.  It helps a lot.  You can also do “time outs.”  Teach your dog a command that sends her to her kennel, crate, carpet or mat.  Then, when she gets out of line, send to her time out spot.  Dominant wolves in the wild do the same thing.  If a pack member is not behaving the alpha male will send that pack member away from the rest of the pack for a short period of time.  At first, you’ll have to send her lots, but she’ll eventually understand that this over the top behavior is unacceptable.  Also, I agree with involving your children in all aspects, however, with kids it can be hit or miss, especially with young childred, plus, you want your pit to behave with all kids, not just yours.  It’s important that you establish yourself as pack leader and teach your puppy that the rambunctious behavior around your children and the jealous behavior towards your other pets is totally out of line.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.