Want to participate in the forum? Sign Up or Sign In here.
RegisterLogin

Sign In

barking to force us to play

Welcome to Pitbulls.org Forums Pit Bull Talk Training barking to force us to play

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jsscdwny
    Participant

Our Lady gets extremely playfull every night between 6 and 8 pm, which is after her evening walk and her dinner and right before bed time. She stands right in front of whoever she wants to play with and does her weird high pitched bark and wags her tail so hard she looks like shes gonna knock herself down. She does NOT stop until someone plays with her. She is not content playing with her toys herself, she wants to tug with her rope and it has to have someone at the other end. She goes as far as to try to toss her rope to the cat over and over and foce poor Josephine to tug, which I can assure you is NOT gonna happen ever. We have tried to settle her down but shes like a child and theres no settling down until everyone in the house has tugged with her. We even tried tying the rope to the couch leg so she could just tugg away but shes only interested in a living being tugging with her, for hours, shes not happy with a 20 min. tug session she wants to tug till bedtime and thats final in her mind. Does anyone know anything that may calm her down? she already gets 2 45 minute walks a day.

kendseycollins
    Participant

Lol.  That’s so funny!  Kaos does the EXACT same thing.  He doesn’t even bark, its this obnoxious high pitched whining meowling thing.  We finally took to sticking toys in his collar and he jumps around like a dork and throws himself on the floor rolling all over the place trying to get to it.  We’ve also used kongball type toys with peanut butter.  They work great becuase it’s mentally stimulating and there is the peanut butter incentive.  We have also started a new tactic.  We have had Kaos kennel trained since he was a puppy.  When he starts barking we give him the “kennel up” command and he will sulk to his kennel till he is told to come back out.  My theory is that, in the wild, when pack or herd animals are in trouble, the leader will send them away from the group as a punishment.  It took a little while for Kaos to understand that he was being sent away for the barking, but it has worked pretty well.  If you don’t have a kennel you could train him to go to a certain spot on command, kind of like time out with kids. We use this same command if he doesn’t mind his manners around company.  I have seen dog training shows where the owner will have the dog on a leash and take them out of the room if they jump up on the guest, but I like this method because it does not require me to leave the room with the dog, he is just sent to time out until he can behave.  The best way to do it is to train the dog in the command using treats and lots of praise so that they are very solid in their reaction to the command BEFORE you try to apply it with a playful or excited dog!

jsscdwny
    Participant

I guess this is going to sound like a stupid question but this is not only my first pitbull but its my first dog that weighd more than 20 pounds. I have seen the kongball type of toys, but never had one we just have chew ropes n bones. If you put peanut butter in it how does it keep from gettin all slimey and and all over the carpet?

Vanilla’s_Daddy
    Participant

Not a stupid question at all!
    Vanilla is our first dog ever and we had to do quite a bit of research as we’ve only owned cats before.

We got her the black Kong (for strong chewers) and we don’t stuff it with peanut butter. We also only give it to her in her crate. That way the mess is confined.
    Unfortunately, peanut buttery slobber goes with the territory! Just make sure to wash the Kong out so it doesn’t get nasty in there.

Enjoy your new pup!

NuMBeR SiCkS
    Participant

Pitbulls are high energy athletes especially when they are young.  So if your pit is only getting those two 45 minute walks with intermittent play then your just not expending close to all her energy.  I found the trick to using up all that energy is getting my girl to sprint.  Indoors or outdoors.  I start it by getting her to bow and asking her “wut you doing!”.  Thats when she knows its on.  It really involves very little from me I just catch her and shake her up a little bit, roll around with her then turn her loose and pretend im going to go after her and “catch” her again.  It makes me laugh to see her run off in circles or sprint around the couch, man she is fast. This high speed romp may not seem to wear her out but 30-45 minutes of it a day is enough to have a quiet gal come bedtime.  I ussually don’t feed her any “meals” after 4 in the afternoon as well, other than special treats.  The dinner your feeding her could be giving her extra fuel and providing all that energy you have to work off.

Sounds like you have an awesome dog though, hope this helps.

kendseycollins
    Participant

I’ve never had a problem with the peanut butter getting anywhere.  I just put less than a tablespossn in at a time and make sure it’s sort of spread around the inside so it doesn’t fall out as he’s rolling around with it.  He usually has it all licked up long before it gets on the floor.  You can also use a combination of peanut butter and a couple pieces of dog food or treats.  Just dip the food in enough peanut butter to get it to stay inside the kong ball, but not enough to be messy.  Just make sure you label the jar of peanut butter to avoid confusion.  Also, I have used plastic cups before, I don’t let Kaos keep a hold of them, but that way one end is closed and the treats don’t just fall out the other side.  It’s a cheap alternative, you just have to make sure to pick up the cup before they start chewing it.  I actually don’t use the kong ball all that often, just if we weren’t able to get out one day.  Kaos likes stuffed animals and chew ropes etc.  I have fun hooking them in his collar so he jumps around and tries to get ahold of them.  I sit on the couch and enjoy the show.  It’s really all about being creative and finding ways to keep her busy with the least amount of effort from you!

deborahbgkelly
    Participant

Frozen baby food is also a great way to occupy a dog. I used to hold it for Peaches, but she’s started holding it on her own. Since it is frozen it takes forever to get through. I also let her sprint outside or in the house. We do a solid amount of play time, but if I can’t play because I’m working or something- a bully or baby food or some other treat works well. Peaches lost interest in the peanut butter kong thing, but it works very well for some dogs and she loved it in the shelter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.